Mommie Onassis is a HUGE proponent of Education. I truly believe that education is important, absolutely essential, and it opens so many doors for us all. No matter what you want to be, it's important to be educated on the topic, become well versed, an expert in that field. Who does not want to hire someone who knows their field inside and out as their President, Lawyer, Realtor, Doctor, Mechanic, Plumber, Counselor, Beautician, Investor, etc. Sometimes education is as simple as reading a book and doing some research. Knowledge is power, so we must empower ourselves.
All of this to say, that most often that knowledge, education comes from a teacher. They lay the foundation for what we learn, and are often the motivation to learn even more. Unfortunately teachers in this country do not get the respect (or pay) they deserve for educating the masses. Public school teachers, especially, are expected to find a way to reach any child that walks through the door, even with all the varying circumstances and challenges that may provide. It's often said, "Well they get summers off," and rightfully so, when they are charged with the task of teaching your children and preparing them for their respective futures. They literally have these precious lives, even they country's future in their hands. Teachers are often up (off the clock) grading, differentiating, planning, researching, calling/emailing parents back, completing recommendations, and sponsoring extracurricular activities to help ensure their students' success. This doesn't even take into account the numerous hats they wear (counselor, babysitter, referee, etc.) while in the classroom. With minimal pay, 6 weeks off (when most have summer jobs anyway) pales in comparison to what they do throughout the 10 months.
While a simple Thank You card would surely suffice to put a smile on a teacher's face, you know Mommie O' had to find some Extra FAB ways to help you show your appreciation.
(If you are on PINTEREST follow me & for the complete folder.) Here are some ideas to help you:
1. Flowers or plant (real)
2. Donate to a charity in their name (If you know they are passionate about something or maybe they are someone dear to them are battling an illness. This is a nice gesture)
3. Picture Frames (Maybe insert your child's picture or a nice phrase)
4. Gift Card (Target, WalMart, Staples, Movies, a Spa or Nice Restaurant are good ideas)
5. Buy them Breakfast or Lunch (works well when there are several teachers)
6. Create a picture book with Current (and/or past) students (try Shutterfly)
7. Personalized mementos (my favorite site is Personalization Mall)
8. A nice plague
9. A good Book(s)- Books to read, or resource books in their subject area
10. A nice journal (try Barnes & Noble)
11. Stationery - personalized is even more FAB (Try Jakardesigns)
12. Baked goods (Bought or homemade, if you can bake)
14. Perfume/ fragrances/ lotions ( try Bath & Bath Works, Sephora, or Philosophy)
15. A personal letter from the student and parents (laminate it for a permanent touch)
16. Art- especially with nice quotes
17. A teacher T-shirt
18. Poster (to hang in class) - for Example (Teacher Poster)
20. A nice pen (Mommie O's favorite is the Swarovski Crystal Pen) - Sshhh...
21. Fill a bag/cup/basket with treat (ie. popcorn, snacks, bottled water, pens, markers, highlighters, notepads, a gift card, candies, etc.)
|Customize bag at www.personizationmall.com|
Of course, you can go more high-end (Hint: iPad) if you wish, but these are FAB & budget friendly suggestions. The better you know the teacher the easier it is to personalize the gift. However, any gesture of gratitude will go a long way. So try it out, and post comments to let Mommie O' know which ideas you loved, and to share your own ideas!
And remember, Being Smart is FAB!